Edinburgh Waterfront

Caroline Park

 

Old Engraving

  Engraving published in 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Caroline Park

The House from the west gate

 

Old Photograph

1840s

Photograph from Edinburgh Calotype Club album  -  Volume 2, Page 66  -  Caroline Park

The old Northern Gate

 

Recent Photographs

2000s

Caroline Park, Waterfront, Edinburgh

The House from the new south gate

Caroline Park, Waterfront, Edinburgh

The House from near the west gate

 

Edinburgh Waterfront

Caroline Park

Beside the Firth of Forth

Edinburgh Waterfront was until recently an area dominated by Granton Gas Works,  small industries, wasteland.

There were once two large properties -  Granton Castle, demolished in the early 20th century and Caroline Park which is still standing.  It will soon be surrounded by new Waterfront developments.

Caroline Park Gates

The photos above are of the gates to Caroline Park at the north-east corner of the grounds, close to West Shore Road.

Please click here to see a photograph of Caroline Park gates from the Edinburgh Calotype Club Album.  This was taken around the mid-1840s.  These gates appear to be the same as those described above as belonging to Granton Castle.  Further research is needed to discover which building(s) the gates in these two photos belonged to.

Photograph from Edinburgh Calotype Club album  -  Volume 2, Page 66  -  Caroline Park

Large new gates have been built [in 2004] on the northern side of Caroline Park.  [Photo to follow.]  These can be seen from a new road through Edinburgh Waterfront that opened on 18 June 2004.

Caroline Park History

Caroline Park was built on the eastern side of Granton Burn around 1585.

The 2nd Duke of Buccleuch bought the estate of Wester Granton, including Granton Castle and the house and estate that were to become Caroline Park in 1716.

He named the house and estate, Caroline Park, after his daughter and gave the house to her in 1743, the year before his death.

From 1802 to 1835, the house was leased by the Buccleuch family to  Archibald Cockburn, Sheriff of Midlothian, Baron of the Exchequer and  father of Lord Cockburn, the conservationist after whom the Cockburn Association is named.

The area around the house became more industrial in the 19th and early 20th century.  The house was sold to A B Fleming & Co who owned printing ink works nearby, in 1921 and used as their Head Office until 1966.  It is still occupied today.

Acknowledgement:  The Caroline Park History details above are taken from James Gracie's book Stranger on the Shore - A short history of Granton, Argyll Publishing, 2003  [ISBN 1 902831 535]

Caroline Park  -  Occupants

More information about AB Fleming, one of the occupants of Caroline Park, is included in notes about a book in the National LIbrary of Scotland's collection.  The book, published possibly in  1893, is titled:

"Specimen book of fine colours for letterpress and lithographic printers"

Here is an extract from NLS's notes about this book:

Caroline Park

AB Fleming & Co

"The firm A.B. Fleming & Co. was founded c.1854 and was initially based in Salamander Street in Leith. The firm developed a technique of producing much cheaper newspaper ink which led to a rapid expansion of the business

By the 1880s they could claim to have the largest printing ink works in the world in Caroline Park, Granton, north of Edinburgh city centre."

Notes  about  the above book on the NLS web site:  September 25, 2010

A contributor to the EdinPhoto web site wrote about the time when he lived at Granton in the 1930s.  He wrote:

Red Sea

"I remember how I bathed in the 'red' sea at Granton foreshore, as it was full of ink wastage from Fleming's Ink works there."

Graeme Charles Munro, Adelaide, South Australia.  4 September 2005.

 

Links to other Granton and Edinburgh Waterfront Pages

Edinburgh Waterfront

Vision

Comments

Aerial Photos

Aerial Photo + links

News to 2005

News -  2006

Comparisons

Forthquarter Park

Saltire Square

Waterfront Avenue

Granton

Granton Direct Aid Depot

Granton Gasholders

Granton Harbour

Granton Middle Pier

Granton Square

West Granton Road

Granton Western Harbour

West Harbour Road

West Shore Road

Granton Negatives

Granton Yachting

Lift-out - Oct 27, 2007            Lift-in   - Apr 5, 2008            Lift-in   - Apr 6, 2013