"The photograph must have been taken
before 8th November 1874 because on the evening of that day, a
Sunday, the church was all but destroyed by a disastrous fire.
The interior was gutted, the roof and
bell tower fell in but the four walls were left standing. The Free
Church congregation decided to build anew on a different site and
this led to the opening in October 1877 of the church now known as
St Philipís in Joppa.
is a drawing of the building done by William Baird in 1889 but the
roof is completely different and it has no bell tower.
The Regent Street building was rebuilt
and reopened as a place of worship by the United Presbyterian
Church and eventually in 1929 became a charge of the Church of
In 1954 the congregation joined with
that of the Old Parish Church and the building was renamed the
Thomson Hall. It was demolished and replaced by a block of flats
some years ago.