early industry included:
Brick and tile works
open air swimming pool (now demolished) was built on the site of the old
Pottery was based at Portobello from 1867 until it moved to Crieff in 1972. Two
of the tree
old kilns from the pottery still stand beside the funfair.
Glass bottle works.
was a prominent landmark at the junction of King's Road and Portobello
High Street. It was opened in 1923, then enlarged and a
distinctive tall chimney added in 1930. The power station has now
adjoining of Portobello to the east, had: