The first aircraft arrived at
Turnhouse Aerodrome, in 1916. They belonged to the Royal Flying
Corps, later to become the Royal Air Force. During World War II, RAF
603 (City of Edinburgh) Squadron was based at Turnhouse.
Commercial passenger services
did not begin until 1947. The airport came under the control of
British Airport Authority in 1971, and since then it has been known as
Source: Edinburgh Airport: A History (Keith