This is one of a
photographs taken on 4 September 2003, as the bells were being removed
from St Andrew's & St George's church, to be returned to
Whitechapel Foundry in East London, where they were originally cast in the
These bells were installed in a wooden housing,
high in the church steeple, in 1788. They were used for change
ringing (where the bells rotate through a full circle) for over a century.
The change ringing ceased in 1903, when the bells
were thought not to be in a fit state to continue.
Instead, small clappers were attached to the
bells, allowing them to be used to play hymn tunes, as in the thumbnail
The bells have now [September
2003] been taken down from the church steeple, and are being
returned to Whitechapel Bell Foundry for refurbishment and retuning.
They will then be re-hung in a metal frame in a
new bell chamber in the church steeple, so that change ringing might be
heard again, one day, from the church.