St Andrew's & St George's Church

 

Removing the Bells  -  4

St Andrew's & St George's Church  -  September 2003  -  Removing the Bells - 4

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Photograph taken 4 September 2003

A black and white image derived from a colour slide

 

St Andrew's & St George's Church

This is one of a series of photographs taken on 4 September 2003, as the bells were being removed from St Andrew's & St George's church,  to be returned to Whitechapel Foundry in East London, where they were originally cast in the 18th century.

Whitechapel Bell Foundry  -  Ready to Begin Work

These bells were installed in a wooden housing, high in the church steeple, in 1788.  They were used for change ringing (where the bells rotate through a full circle) for over a century.

The change ringing ceased in 1903, when the bells were thought not to be in a fit state to continue. 

Instead, small clappers were attached to the bells, allowing them to be used to play hymn tunes, as in the thumbnail picture below.

.Ropes for chiming the bells in St Andrew's & St George's church

The bells have now [September 2003] been taken down from the church steeple, and are being returned to Whitechapel Bell Foundry for refurbishment and retuning.

  St Andrew's & St George's Church  -  September 2003  -  Removing the Bells - 2

They will then be re-hung in a metal frame in a new bell chamber in the church steeple, so that change ringing might be heard again, one day, from the church.

 

Removing the Bells  -  pictures:     1    2    3    4   5    6    7    8   9  10   11   12   13   14   All

 

EDINBURGH:   Street Views + Buildings + Around Edinburgh

BUILDINGS:   Canongate Church     Canongate Tolbooth      Castle      Free Church     GPO     Holyrood      John Knox      Maule's      Monuments    Galleries     Old Town       Royal High School      St Giles     St Mary's     Scott Monument    Schools + Hospitals     Looking down

 

 

 

__________________