The Forth Passage
The Forth Bridge was
opened on 4 March 1890 and the lease of the
"Queensferry Passage" was then sold to Captain John Arthur , by North
British Railway, along with the paddle steamer 'JOHN
John Arthur had purchased
'NEW UNDAUNTED' , in 1887, and along with
the launch 'DALMENY CASTLE' (1886) was
operating cruises from South Queensferry harbour to the bridge.
For the next four summers John Arthur operated
the three vessels on excursions round the bridge, while maintaining a
minimal ferry service; all from Hawes Pier. He retired in 1893
and his vessels were sold.
lease of the Queensferry Passage then passed to John Wilson of Bo'ness
who for the next twenty .years maintained the service with the ex Tay