Canal Street Station
Edinburgh's second railway was operated by the
Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway Company.
It was five years after the railway opened that it reached the centre
of Edinburgh, at Canal Street Station.
Canonmills to Newhaven:
1846: Canonmills to
Street to Granton: -
The line from Scotland Street station was extended to the south towards
Edinburgh, rope-hauled through a newly constructed tunnel under Scotland
Street, leading up a 1 in 28 incline to Canal Street station.
The route to the north between Scotland Street station and Granton,
locomotives were introduced to replace the horses. 2
station was, in fact situated a little further east than the plan above
suggests. It was adjacent to, and immediately to the north of,
North British Railway's North Bridge station.
Waverley station now includes the land occupied
by both the North Bridge Station and Canal Street Station. The
bricked up entrance to the Scotland Street tunnel can still be seen from
the most northern platform of Waverley Station.