Waverley Station

[originally known as North Bridge Station]

1846 onwards

Edinburgh's Railways  -  Waverley Station

    peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Waverley Station is Edinburgh's main station, situated at the East End of Princes Street.  It is built on the site of the earlier stations:

-  North Bridge Station built 1846, with lines to the east and west

-  Canal Street station, built when, with line through tunnel to north.

When was the name Waverley first used?

North Bridge

Opened in 1846 with lines to:

-  Berwick (from 1846)

-  Glasgow (from 1846)

-  Carlisle (from 1862).

Canal Street

Canal Street station was beside North Bridge station (later to become Waverley Station).  The line into Canal Street station was at right angles to the line passing through North Bridge station.

The line entered Canal Street station through a tunnel under Scotland Street with a gradient of 1 in 28.  Trains were rope-hauled through this tunnel by a stationery engine.    1

Waverley

1869-73:  Expansion of the site of North Bridge and Canal Street stations.      1

1892-1900:  Further expansion of the site to cope with increased traffic, following the opening of the Forth Rail Bridge in 1890.      1

1.  'Yesterday's Railways: Edinburgh'  Publ: Railway Correspondence and Travel Society  ISBN 0 9508595 0 8

 

 

STATIONS mentioned on the EDINBURGH RAILWAYS pages

B

Balerno

Balgreen

Barnton

Berwick

Blackford Hill

Burntisland

C

Canal Street

Canonmills

Corstorphine

Craigleith

Craiglockhart Road

D

Dalkeith

Dalry Road

Davidson's Mains

Duddingston & Craigmillar

E

East Pilton

G

Glasgow

Gorgie

Granton Gas Works

Granton Road

H

Haymarket

L

Leith Central

Leith Citadel

Leith North

Lothian Road

M

Morningside Road

N

Newhaven (Cal)

Newhaven (NB)

Newington

Niddrie

North Bridge

P

Perth

Pinkhill

Portobello

Princes Street

S

Scotland Street

Sheriffhall

St Leonard's

T

Trinity

W

Waverley

Map

 Map of some of Edinburgh's Railways since 1831

 

__________________