"The Sub"

Circle around Southern Edinburgh

1884 - 1962

Edinburgh's Railways  -  The Suburban Railway around the Southern Suburbs of Edinburgh

    peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Opening

The Suburban and South Side Junction Railway operated from 1884. 1

The line ran in a circle around Southern Edinburgh.  Travelling clockwise along the line, the stations were:

Waverley

Portobello

Duddingston & Craigmillar

Newington

Blackford Hill

Morningside Road

Craiglockhart Road,

Gorgie

Haymarket

Waverley

Closure

Passenger services ended in 1962.  The line is still used for freight.

Re-opening

During the 1990s and more recently there have been several campaigns to re-open this line.  The most recent plan was announced by the Capital Rail Action Group on 7 August 2003, suggesting problems of capacity at Haymarket station could be overcome by extending Dunbar to Waverley or  North Berwick to Waverley trains.  They could continue to Haymarket then round the 'Sub', so providing a half-hourly service, perhaps in three years' time.

1:  'Yesterday's Railways: Edinburgh'  Publ: Railway Correspondence and Travel Society  ISBN 0 9508595 0 8

2.  CRAG Plan for re-opening of the 'Sub':  Edinburgh Evening News, 7 August 2003

 

 

STATIONS mentioned on the EDINBURGH RAILWAYS pages

B

Balerno

Balgreen

Barnton

Berwick

Blackford Hill

Burntisland

C

Canal Street

Canonmills

Corstorphine

Craigleith

Craiglockhart Road

D

Dalkeith

Dalry Road

Davidson's Mains

Duddingston & Craigmillar

E

East Pilton

G

Glasgow

Gorgie

Granton Gas Works

Granton Road

H

Haymarket

L

Leith Central

Leith Citadel

Leith North

Lothian Road

M

Morningside Road

N

Newhaven (Cal)

Newhaven (NB)

Newington

Niddrie

North Bridge

P

Perth

Pinkhill

Portobello

Princes Street

S

Scotland Street

Sheriffhall

St Leonard's

T

Trinity

W

Waverley

Map

 Map of some of Edinburgh's Railways since 1831

 

__________________