St Kentigern's Church stands on the southern bank
of the Union Canal at St Peter's Place. The church has not been used
for several years and is now threatened with demolition to make way for a
three storey building for housing (18 apartments), restaurant and bar.
The church was built in 1897 but was used as a
church only until 1941. However, the Edinburgh heritage body, the
Cockburn Association have objected to this proposal on the grounds that
the church is one of the few buildings of historic interest on this
section of the canal.
The editorial in the Edinburgh Evening News
has lent its support to saving the church and so preventing this section
of the canal becoming too bland.