Union Canal

Canal History

The Union Canal was built between 1817 and 1822, principally to transport coal between Central Scotland and Edinburgh. The canal provided a link between Edinburgh and the Forth & Clyde Canal at Falkirk.

The canal eventually closed in 1965, but has been regenerated in recent years as part of British Waterways Scotland's 78m revitalisation scheme for Scotland's canals.

Recent developments

Edinburgh

The Eastern end of the canal at Edinburgh Quay has now been re-flooded and is looking attractive.  Edinburgh Quay, with its offices, bars and restaurants and  was officially opened in March 2005.

 Edinburgh Evening News,  29 March 2005, p.29]

Recent developments

Falkirk

The Falkirk Wheel was officially opened in 2002, to re-connect the Union Canal  to the Forth & Clyde Canal.  It is now attracting 450,000 visitors a year.

The Waterside Pub Partnership (a joint venture between British Waterways and Scottish & Newcastle) recently announced increased funding.   This partnership has been set up to  develop canal-side pubs and  restaurants  throughout Britain  A pub is planned beside the Falkirk Wheel.

 Edinburgh Evening News,  29 March 2005, p.29]

 

Proposed developments

Houseboats

Plans to create four dedicated moorings for houseboats on the Union Canal in the centre of Edinburgh, at Lochrin Basin, Fountainbridge, were announced in July 2005.

The nearest houseboats currently are berthed at the Edinburgh Canal Centre, Bridge Inn, Ratho, about six miles to the west of the centre of Edinburgh.

Also near Lochrin Basin, 10 luxury townhouses are expected to be sold with private moorings.

 Edinburgh Evening News,  7 July 2005, p.20.

Edinburgh Quay

Canal Trips

The canal company Re-Union is to run four barge trips along the Union Canal each Sunday.  The trips will be from Edinburgh Quay to Harrison Park and back

Edinburgh Quay

Visiting Barge

During the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, in August 2006, the barge 'Ratho Princes' will be at Edinburgh Quay, hosting wine school events.  These will be run by Case Studies Wine School, the Glasgow-based wine and spirits training organisation.

 Edinburgh Evening News,  July 7, 2006:  p.25

 

 

 

Fountainbridge

More Pages

Scottish & Newcastle Breweries  -  The Yard

Industry in Fountainbridge  -  history

Fountainbridge  -  Proposed developments

South Fountainbridge  -  plans announced

North Fountainbridge  -  plans announced

St Kentigern's Church  -  demolition?

Edinburgh Quay  -  developments

Palais Bingo Hall  -  demolition

Union Canal

Edinburgh Today

 

 

__________________