Dumbiedykes

c.1820

 

Part of Dumbiedykes  -  c.1821

 including Dumbie House after which the district was named

Map of part of Dumbiedykes including the Deaf & Dumb Academy after which the district was named

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Eric Gold, formerly of Dumbiedykes, now living in London

 

Zoom-out to Dumbiedykes

c.1821

  

 

Dumbiedykes

c.1821

Thomas Braidwood established an Academy for the Deaf and Dumb, after which the Dumbiedykes was named, can be seen at the right-hand side of this map, at the edge of Holyrood Park

On this map, it is named Dumbie House

The house is in the valley between Arthur Street and Salisbury Street.  On Kirkwood's map of 1817, the name given to Arthur Street is Dale Street.

Arthur Street

    Dumbiedykes Survey Photograph - 1959  - Arthur Street with lemonade lorry

 

 

 

Dumbiedykes:   Streets  A-G     Streets  H-R    Streets  S-Z    More Pages

Edinburgh Photos

Edinburgh Recollections

Contributors

 

 

 

__________________