The Commercial Bank
David Rhind's first commissions, in the 1830s, were for the Commercial
Bank. This bank later commissioned David Rhind to design their new
Head Office, to be build in George Street, on the site of the
which the bank had acquired in 1843.
The Commercial Bank was keen to have a
prestigious building to eclipse the Head Offices of other banks, including
the Royal Bank
of Scotland on the west side of St Andrew's Square. The building
designed by Rhind for the Commercial Bank was opened in 1847.
David Rhind went on to design many more
offices for the Commercial Bank. The Scotsman reported in his
"In almost every
provincial town of importance in Scotland, the building in which the
Bank's business is carried on is generally a structure of considerable
architectural pretension from the pencil of Mr Rhind."
[The Scotsman:1 May 1883]
David Rhind was the architect for
Stewart's charity school and orphanage to house 80-100 boys.
Rhind submitted designs in Gothic, Elizabethan and Italian styles.
The trustees selected the Elizabethan style, and the building was
Rhind may have based this design on the
unsuccessful competition entry that he submitted in the 1835 for the
rebuilding of the Houses of Parliament in London.
Other prominent schools in Edinburgh at the
time were Fettes College
designed by Brice and
Donaldson's Hospital designed by Playfair.
The Life Association of
David Rhind was the architect for the Head
Office of the
Life Association of Scotland - a conversion of Nos 81 and 82 Princes
Street, close to the foot of the Mound
He designed a very elaborate building that was
constructed 1855-58. The building was, unfortunately, was demolished
William Henry Miller's Tomb
David Rhind was architect of the monument at Craigentinny Crescent that
William Henry Miller requested his heirs to erect was architect of the
tomb to William Henry Miller, on Craigentinny Crescent, Edinburgh. [Tim