Around Edinburgh

Marine Gardens

Portobello

 

Portobello Marine Gardens

Post Cards

J S & S, Edinburgh  -  Portobello Marine Gardens

J S & S, Edinburgh

Postcard by H M  -  Marine Gardens, Portobello

Marine Gardens

Valentine Postcard  -  The Somali Village at Portobello Marine Gardens, 1910

The Somali Village

 

Portobello Marine Gardens

Marine Gardens Pleasure Park was constructed at Seafield, Portobello in 1909, using many of the buildings that had formed the Scottish National Exhibition at Saughton Park in 1908.

Marine Gardens were on the site now occupied by Lothian Buses' Portobello bus depot, close to the junction of Seafield Road East and King's Road.

Marine Gardens had:

-  an alfresco theatre

-  an industrial hall

-  a large ballroom, used also for roller skating

-  a scenic railway

-  a rustic mill with water wheel

-  a motor cycle race track

On one occasion, Leith Athletic played Celtic at Marine Park, in front of 21,000 fans.

Many of the buildings in Marine Gardens were taken over by the military in 1914 as billets. Most of the Marine Gardens attractions never re-opened when the war ended in 1919.

The ballroom and speedway track survived until the start of the Second World War in 1939.  They were converted into a factory in during the war and never reopened after the war in 1945.  They  were finally demolished in 1966.

Edinburgh Evening News,  January 9, 2006:   pp.1,8,9

 

Balloon at Marine Gardens, Portobello

Edinburgh Aero Club   - founded 1928

1913

 

Portobello - More Photos

 

Portobello    -    More Pages

Portobello      Name      Industry     Transport      Holidays     Park + Golf Course

Pool    History     Churches     Potteries       Festival       Video     Victorian Dress

 

 

 

 

__________________