and Members' Exhibition
In recent years, until 1907, Members
had participated in the EPS Open Exhibition, having their own
section. However in 1908 it was decided to hold a separate
exhibition for Members' work.
EPS Council explained that they felt
that under the previous arrangement:
"an undue share of encouragement had
been given to the pictorial and artistic photographer to the
detriment of the more ordinary worker who strove more after
technical than artistic excellence"
The Council commented that they were
delighted that they had made the change, and that it had
"a truly excellent display of work,
far surpassing anything that that was expected in regard to
numbers, technical excellence and high artistic merit."
[Transactions of EPS:
Jan 1909, p.32]